Unexpected Major Project

Upon arrival and further questioning Disco, I discovered he had removed three 20 liter jugs, my big yellow diesel jugs, almost 20 gallons – not good. I inspected all the lines, connections, and fittings and found them bone dry, not a trace of fuel anywhere. The bottom front edge of the fuel tank and the front mounting platform, however, were wet with fuel. My earlier hopes were dashed; we obviously had a fuel tank leak. What to do? Our spirits moved from optimism to pessimism in short order. There would be no easy fix to this situation.

Tight Quarters

The fuel tank had to be removed for repair or replacement; no easy task as it is bolted to bulkheads and frames in 6 locations, all difficult to access. I explored every possible option for removing the tank from the boat ( two days of work and meetings with different contractors), and eventually realized I had to remove the engine from the boat to access and remove the fuel tank (4 more days).

I’ll condense three weeks of hard work, usually 9 AM to 5 PM, sometimes longer, into just a few paragraphs. This process involved massive clean up in the engine space. While Perky was sitting on the dock covered with a tarp we decided to replace all the engine room insulation because the original was saturated with fuel and oil from 30 years of use.

Check Over Perky

Devin from Moosetracks and I checked the engine over as carefully as possible while it sat on the dock. I made a few minor repairs to the engine, to boat wiring, and lots of other small stuff ( 3 days). In this process I discovered two bad motor mounts on the port side and had to locate and order replacements from the States (2 days). Then I had to deal with Customs (a day) for the “imported” mounts. What a frustration that was. Once I received the new mounts I adjusted them to carefully obtained measurements taken prior to removing the old ones.. Then came the job of reinstalling everything. The list goes on.

Put Perky Back Together